The Little Mermaid is coming home! Disney’s live-action adaptation of the classic animated film starring Halle Bailey is now available on digital and will be released on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on September 19.
Of course, with any home video release, the big question is what bonus features will be included. Included in this release are a sing-along version of the film, which includes on-screen lyrics, a “making of” documentary following director Rob Marshall and his team, breakdowns of four of the biggest musical numbers in the film, and a few featurettes.
I’m particularly looking forward to two of the featurettes. One is called “The Scuttlebutt on Sidekicks” which looks at Sebastian (Daveed Diggs), Flounder (Jacob Tremblay) and Scuttle (Awkwafina) and their own song. The other is “Passing The Dinglehopper,” which dives into Halle Bailey meeting the original voice of Ariel, Jodi Benson, and Benson’s cameo in the film.
Check out additional details below. The digital release of The Little Mermaid is available now on Apple TV, Prime Video and Vudu/Fandango.
Relive the magic of one of Disney’s most beloved films when the “radiant and romantic live-action retelling” (Jenna Anderson, ComicBook.com) of The Little Mermaid becomes available to audiences to enjoy at home. Rob Marshall’s sparkling new take “captures the magic of the original” (Ross Bonaime, Collider) while “Halle Bailey simply soars” (Pete Hammond, Deadline) as she brings viewers into the world of Ariel and on a magical journey. Disney’s The Little Mermaid arrives at digital retailers (Apple TV, Prime Video and Vudu/Fandango) on July 25 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on September 19. Fans can add the film to their collection and access exclusive bonus features including a sing-along version of the film, song breakdowns, bloopers, and exclusive featurettes.
The Little Mermaid is visionary filmmaker Rob Marshall’s live-action reimagining of Disney’s beloved animated musical classic, the story of Ariel, a beautiful and spirited young mermaid with a thirst for adventure. The youngest of King Triton’s daughters and the most defiant, Ariel longs to find out more about the world beyond the sea and, while visiting the surface, falls for the dashing Prince Eric. While mermaids are forbidden to interact with humans, Ariel must follow her heart. She makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, which gives her a chance to experience life on land but ultimately places her life – and her father’s crown – in jeopardy. “The Little Mermaid” is directed by Rob Marshall with a screenplay by David Magee, and is produced by Marc Platt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, John DeLuca and Rob Marshall.
- Sing Along Version – Sing along with your favorite songs while watching the movie with on-screen lyrics.
- Hotter Under The Water – Discover how director Rob Marshall and his team brought the story of The Little Mermaid to life with this documentary in five chapters:
- A Tale Of The Bottomless Blue – Join Rob Marshall on the set of one of the most ambitious and challenging films he’s ever directed.
- I Know Something’s Starting Right Now – Join cast members Halle Bailey, Melissa McCarthy, Jonah Hauer-King and more and learn how they were cast in the film and what it was like to bring director Rob Marshall’s vision to life.
- Down Where It’s Wetter – Dip your toes into the virtual ocean and learn about how the breathtaking underwater world was created with visual effects, imagination and a lot of talented artists.
- Explore That Shore Up Above – From Prince Eric’s castle to the beach, explore the above-the-sea locations and the elaborate production design behind them.
- Do What The Music Say – Discover how legendary composer Alan Menken teamed up with Lin- Manuel Miranda to write new songs to accompany the original classics
- Song Breakdowns
- Wild Unchartered Waters – Prince Eric, played by Jonah Hauer-King, gets his own song, written by Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Go behind the song, from the writing to the recording, to the filming on a practical ship.
- Under the Sea – Get a first-hand look at how professional dancers helped bring director Rob Marshall’s vision to life as they stood in for the various animated sea creatures that sing and dance in this showstopping number.
- Kiss The Girl – Float along and get a frog’s-eye view of the beautiful set built to film the live-action version of this classic song.
- Poor Unfortunate Souls – Join Melissa McCarthy (Ursula) as she takes us on the journey of making her character’s signature song.
- The Scuttlebutt On Sidekicks – Dive in and meet Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle, who not only have their own song, “The Scuttlebutt,” but also fresh looks as they work hard to make sure Ariel and Eric kiss before Ursula’s deadline..
- Passing The Dinglehopper – Ariel met Ariel when Halle Bailey worked with Jodi Benson — the voice of Ariel in the original animated movie — who appears in a clever cameo in the live-action film..
- Bloopers – Laugh along with the cast as they have the time of their lives making The Little Mermaid.
*Bonus features vary by product and retailer
Ron is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of POC Culture. He is a big believer in the power and impact of pop culture and the importance of representation in media.