HBO Max is celebrating Asian American and Pacific Islander Month this May with “See Us,” a spotlight page on its streaming service highlighting AAPI creators and projects in its library.
Some of the spotlighted content includes films and series like Warrior, Mortal Kombat, Crazy Rich Asians, and Life of Pi, documentaries like Ravi Patel’s Pursuit of Happiness, Chasing Life with Sanjay Gupta and Tiger, reality shows like House of Ho and animated titles like Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, Weathering With You, and Earwig and the Witch.
If you haven’t watched Warrior, inspired by the writings of Bruce Lee and starring some of the most talented Asian actors around, this is an excellent time to catch up!
To celebrate, HBO Max released an incredibly moving trailer starring some of the biggest Asian and Pacific Islander stars in the industry. With the tag line “See Us,” it really speaks to the desire by the AAPI community to be recognized for our impact, presence and value.
Be sure to watch the trailer and review all the fantastic details below!
On May 1, HBO Max will launch its See Us: AAPI And Our Global Community spotlight page, showcasing the range, diversity and spirit of the community during Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage month and beyond. Continuing our rich history of amplifying diverse stories and talent, this HBO Max spotlight page celebrates the visionaries amongst us, and collectively promotes and supports the telling of stories from the Asian and AAPI perspective, while also acknowledging the importance of representation moving forward.
See Us will offer hours of curated programming, featuring compelling films and series including “Mortal Kombat,” “Crazy Rich Asians,” “Life of Pi” and “Warrior,” documentaries like “Ravi Patel’s Pursuit of Happiness,” “Chasing Life with Sanjay Gupta” and “Tiger,” reality shows such as “House of Ho,” animated titles like “Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!,” “Weathering With You,” and “Earwig and the Witch,” and other original programming that honors the contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in entertainment.
Films born out of HBO’s Asian Pacific American Visionaries Short Film Competition will also be featured on the spotlight page, including the 2020 winning films “Lonely Night” directed by Johnson Cheng, “Fine China” directed by Tiffany So and “Si” directed by Thomas Kim. Established in 2016, HBO Visionaries provides an unprecedented platform for emerging filmmakers to share their unique and diverse perspectives of the community. Now in its fifth year, APAV serves to showcase cinematic storytellers of Asian and Pacific Islander descent, awarding the top three winners with cash prizes and the opportunity to have their projects premiere on HBO and available to stream on HBO Max.
To top it off, as part of the HBO Max Guest Curator Program, Jamie Chung from HBO’s “Lovecraft Country” curated an exclusive playlist of her favorite films and series. Her recommendations include titles such as “The High Note” (directed by Nisha Ganatra), “Made for Love,” “Unscripted,” “How to Make it in America,” and “Lovecraft Country” as well.
Below you will find a list of curations that will be included on the See Us spotlight page:
SEE US IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA
Feel starstruck by outstanding AAPI actors at the heart of big stories you’ve been meaning to watch.
- Aquaman, 2018
- Awkwafina is Nora From Queens
- Ballers (HBO)
- Crazy Rich Asians, 2018
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, 2019 (HBO)
- Hero, 2004 (HBO)
- Life of Pi, 2012 (HBO)
- *The Matrix Trilogy
- Mortal Kombat, 2021
- The Namesake, 2007 (HBO)
- The Night Of (HBO)
- Rampage, 2018
- Rumble in the Bronx, 1996
- *Rush Hour Movie Collection
- Snowpiercer (Series)
- The Tuxedo, 2002 (HBO)
- Warrior (HBO)
SEE US BEHIND THE CAMERA
Produced, written or directed by us.
- All-Star Superman, 2011 (Sam Liu)
- Batman and Harley Quinn, 2017 (Sam Liu)
- Birds of Prey: Harley Quinn, 2020 (Cathy Yan) (HBO)
- Crazy Rich Asians, 2018 (Jon M. Chu)
- Fine China, 2020 (Tiffany So) (HBO)
- HBO Access 2015 04: The Last Song, 2015 (Sasie Sealy) (HBO)
- HBO Access 2016 03: F**ked Up, 2016 (Kevin Lau) (HBO)
- Heroin: Cape Cod, USA, 2015 (Steven Okazaki) (HBO)
- Justice League vs. Teen Titans, 2016 (Sam Liu)
- Lonely Blue Night, 2020 (Johnson Cheng) (HBO)
- The Night Of (HBO)
- Si, 2020 (Thomas Kim) (HBO)
- Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, 2018 (Sam Liu)
- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, 2017 (Sam Liu)
- True Detective (Season 1 directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga) (HBO)
- The Tuxedo, 2002 (HBO)
- Warrior (HBO)
- Westworld (Lisa Joy) (HBO)
SEE OUR REAL STORIES
Dive into documentaries, reality shows, and more favorites that highlight our community.
- Chasing Life With Sanjay Gupta
- House of Ho
- Meet the Patels, 2014
- The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan
- The Problem with Apu, 2013
- Ravi Patel’s Pursuit of Happiness
- This is Life with Lisa Ling
- Tiger, 2021 (HBO)
SEE OUR TRAILBLAZERS: SATYAJIT RAY
Essential movies from the prolific filmmaker, on what would have been his 100th birthday.
- An Enemy of the People, 1989
- Aparajito, 1956
- The Big City, 1963
- Charulata, 1964
- The Coward, 1965
- The Elephant God, 1979
- The Hero, 1966
- The Holy Man, 1965
- The Home and the World, 1984
- The Music Room, 1958
- Pather Panchali, 1955
- The Stranger, 1991
- The World of Apu, 1959
SEE OUR GLOBAL COMMUNITY
Wide-ranging films from the largest continent on Earth.
- The 47 Ronin Part 1, 1941
- The 47 Ronin Part 2, 1941
- The Garden of Evening Mists, 2021 (HBO)
- *Godzilla Collection
- *Hanzo the Razor Trilogy
- House, 1977
- In the Mood for Love, 2001
- Jackie Chan’s First Strike, 1997
- Kwaidan, 1965
- Lady Snowblood, 1974
- Lady Snowblood: Love Song of Vengeance, 1974
- Late Autumn, 1973
- Late Spring, 1949
- *Lone Wolf and Cub Movie Collection
- Onibaba, 1964
- Osaka Elegy, 1936
- *Samurai Trilogy
- Tampopo, 1985
- Tokyo Story, 1953
- Ugetsu, 1953
SEE OUR TRAILBLAZERS: AKIRA KUROSAWA
Admire works from one of the most important and influential filmmakers in the history of cinema.
- Ikiru, 1956
- Rashomon, 1950
- Seven Samurai, 1954
- The Hidden Fortress, 1960
- Throne of Blood, 1957
- Yojimbo, 1961
SEE US IN YOUR NEXT FAVORITE SHOW
We’re evolving what it means to be a leading actor with these underrated picks.
- Folklore (HBO)
- Food Lore (HBO)
- Grace (HBO)
- Invisible Stories (HBO)
- Miss Sherlock (HBO)
- Sent (HBO)
- The Teenage Psychic (HBO)
- The World Between Us (HBO)
- Warrior (HBO)
SEE US IN ANIMATION
Creators that are redefining the genre.
- Blue Exorcist
- Bungo Stray Dogs
- The Cat Returns, 2002
- Earwig and the Witch, 2021
- Food Wars! Shokugeki No Soma
- From Up on Poppy Hill, 2011
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- The God of High School
- Hunter x Hunter
- Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
- Konosuba – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World
- My Neighbors the Yamadas, 2000
- The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl, 2017
- Ocean Waves, 1993
- Only Yesterday, 1991
- Pom Poko, 1994
- Promare, 2019
- The Promised Neverland
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Re:Zero – Starting Life in Another World
- Ride Your Wave, 2019
- Rokka – Braves of the Six Flowers
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Schwarzes Marken
- The Secret World of Arrietty, 2010
- The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, 2013
- Tower of God
- Weathering With You, 2019
- Whisper of the Heart, 1995
- Your Lie in April
SEE OUR TRAILBLAZERS: HAYAO MIYAZAKI
Only respect for the iconic filmmaker and co-founder of Studio Ghibli.
- Castle in the Sky, 1986
- Howl’s Moving Castle, 2004
- Kiki’s Delivery Service, 1998
- The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, 2013
- My Neighbor Totoro, 1990
- Never-Ending Man: Hayao Miyazaki, 2016
- Ponyo, 2008
- Porco Rosso, 1992
- Princess Mononoke, 1997
- Spirited Away, 2002
- The Wind Rises, 2013
Ron is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of POC Culture. He is a big believer in the power and impact of pop culture and the importance of representation in media.